Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brooks I.D.

Brooks I.D. logo
Most people know that I have an association with Brooks. I've probably mentioned the Brooks I.D. Program before, but maybe I haven't really explained it very well. People see the Brooks jackets, jerseys, and shoes and think I get paid by Brooks to run. Well...if that were true, I mostly certainly wouldn't be in nursing school or in the Navy. That would be a dream job. Alas, I'm not that good of a runner. I'll try to explain a little more about the program and why I love Brooks so much as a company.

Brooks I.D. stands for "inspire daily". Members of the Brooks I.D. team are runners from all over the country in their respective communities. We weren't selected for our own running merits, although the list of I.D. member merits is quite impressive. Rather, all members agree to promote the mission of Brooks: to inspire people to run and be active. We are all runners and most of us compete, but it's not our main jobs. I'm sure there are some who make a living from running and winning though.

Brooks snow shoe
There are many reasons that I love Brooks. It's not just that I get to wear a cool jersey or get a discount on their stuff. They are generally an amazing company. This is a customer service chat that I had about an online order:

Josh Campbell: Hi, my name is Josh Campbell. How may I help you?
Chip LeDuff: Hi Josh. I'm a Brooks ID member and recently received an order that I purchased through the BrooksPro Site. I love all the stuff I ordered, but I need to exchange one of the items for a smaller size. How do I go about doing that?
Josh Campbell: which piece is it and which size do you need?
Chip LeDuff: the Nightlife Infiniti 1/2 Zip Brite Green in a small
Josh Campbell: hang tight and I'll have some info in a minute
Chip LeDuff: thanks!!
Josh Campbell: just sent an email to your gmail account with exchange instructions
Chip LeDuff: awesome
Chip LeDuff: thank you
Josh Campbell: you're welcome
Chip LeDuff: so i'll just e-mail you my tracking number today when i get it and you'll send the new shirt?
Josh Campbell: correct
Chip LeDuff: best customer service on the planet
Chip LeDuff: thanks brother
Josh Campbell: no worries
Josh Campbell: we'll get you taken care of
Chip LeDuff: have a great day man


Brooks motivator
in the blue
I try to surround myself with like-minded people. The people in the program are amazing! I'm constantly motivated by them and consult with them frequently.

I met two great motivators in November when I ran the Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Half Marathon. One of them is Chris Gunderson who ran with me for the whole race, constantly pushing me, and leading me to a new PR of 1:25:53. Why is that special? Because his PR for the half is 1:12. He slowed down a LOT to motivate me to a new PR. I also met Jess Etchen at the Cavalcade of Curiosities. She encouraged me to get my running history in order to apply for the P.A.C.E. team. She motivated me from the second I met her, and I can't wait to run with her at the Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon.

The best thing about Brooks as opposed to other companies is that Brooks is strictly a running company. They aren't an all-around sports company. They are a running company made up of runners who actually run. Did I say "run" enough there? Companies like Adidas, Nike, Asics, and Reebok make soccer stuff, basketball stuff, baseball stuff, and running stuff. They can't devote all their time and focus to one thing. Don't get me wrong...they are good companies. But it's Brooks' focus on running that makes them special because they can cater to the unique needs that runners have and they are familiar with what runners want.

This weekend, I'll get to be a part of the Brooks team at the Houston Marathon/Half Marathon Expo with Chris. Come see us at the Brooks booth when you come to pick up your packet if you're running.

0 comments:

Post a Comment